Episode Two – Pat Wilkins Unfinished

CLICK THE PLAYER ABOVE TO LISTEN TO THE SHOW OR…

Listen on Google Play Music

Our second episode features a very interesting interview with a leader in the high-end custom finishing market for decades. Pat Wilkins has put incredible finishes on literally tens of thousands of guitars and basses. And, while he’s probably best known for his finishing operation, he’s actually been building his own line of Wilkins basses and guitars for years. We talk to him about all this and more.

Highlights of the podcast include:

• 00:40 Setting the Stage
  • 03:55 Questionable Moments
  • 06:20 Pat Wilkins Interview
  • 28:30 The Value Shot

Thanks for listening and we look forward to hearing from you!

Leave your comments below.

2018-12-02T18:58:54+00:00February 18th, 2018|Podcast Episodes|14 Comments

14 Comments

1. Larry Reshes February 19, 2018 at 6:14 pm - Reply

Awesome interview. Pat is a great painter and even a greater guy!

2. Jim Hunter February 19, 2018 at 10:42 pm - Reply

Congratulations, really glad to see you’re doing something in an area you love, best wishes for success!

3. D e b b i l e e February 20, 2018 at 6:10 pm - Reply

Pat Wilkins is truly in my humble opinion a true gentleman , an excellent Talent, a creative Force in the making of beautiful tonal guitars Bass and more. I am blessed to have such a wonderful person backing me up in my band. When he is available. Is in demand throughout Southern California. Even through adversity he has Always maintained a great attitude on stage , with friends , family and customers alike. In the decade I’ve known Pat I have never heard a disparaging word for this wonderful gentleman.

• Jeffrey D Brown February 20, 2018 at 8:10 pm - Reply

That’s great to hear, Debbilee. Thanks for that!

• Pat Wilkins February 26, 2018 at 7:25 am - Reply

Thank you Debbilee I appreciate your comments and you know how much I enjoy playing music with you and the great players that you always bring to the stage.

4. Kevin Hill February 20, 2018 at 6:14 pm - Reply

Jeffrey, just wanted to “admit” that Pat does the majority of our finish work and it was nice to see him acknowledged. There are quite a few of us who believe that he is our “secret weapon” which is guess isn’t actually so secret lol!

Nice radio show too, looking forward to future installments!

• Jeffrey D Brown February 20, 2018 at 8:14 pm - Reply

Thank you, Kevin. We’re just getting started and it usually takes a few episodes to get it dialed in. We’ll be coming out on Mondays. And thanks for the admission! 🙂

• Pat Wilkins February 26, 2018 at 7:28 am - Reply

Hi Kevin Thanks for your comments. You make great guitars and I’m very glad to be the one that does the finishes for you. I’m looking forward to supporting you and your business and helping us both to grow even more in the future.

5. Terry Moss February 21, 2018 at 9:03 am - Reply

Jeffrey, just got through listening to episode two. I really enjoyed the interview with Pat Wilkins and I totally agree with him. There is nothing better than playing music with other people. As a guitar teacher I encourage my students to try new things out and play with friends at every chance they get.This, I believe is the way to really improve and enjoy making music. Keep up the good work your show is great.

• Jeffrey D Brown February 21, 2018 at 9:30 am - Reply

Thanks, Terry. Really appreciate that. Great insight. Stay tuned for more.

• Pat Wilkins February 26, 2018 at 7:33 am - Reply

Thank you very much Terry. I was hoping that my comments about playing live and with others would resonate with the listening audience. What you do as a teacher of music is extremely important to the future of the music business in this world. I appreciate the commitment that you make to each of your students as you give them not only the skills to play music but also the mind set to grow in their journey to become a better artist/musician. Thank you for your dedication.

6. Andy Beech February 23, 2018 at 6:54 am - Reply

Jeffrey, I really like what you are doing. Hopefully the show will shed some light on our industry. I used to work with Mark in the late 80s, and being in LA Pat was THE Guy for getting paint work done. Ironic that they were your first two guests.

Best of luck, Andy

• Jeffrey D Brown February 23, 2018 at 8:52 am - Reply

Thanks, Andy… we’ll try to keep it coming. So far, so good… 🙂

7. Pat Wilkins February 26, 2018 at 7:39 am - Reply

Hi Andy It was great seeing you at Namm this year. It’s been way too long. I’m real happy to know that you’re still in the business and doing well. Those were crazy times in LA during the 80’s and you and Mark had as much influence in our industry as any one did. Through you guys I had my hands on a lot of guitars for movers and shakers in the music business during that time. You rock! my friend. Keep up the great work. Jeffrey, this is someone that you should consider speaking with on your show. He was right there in the middle of it all as much as I was and is still going strong.